Natural Cold Remedies: This web page is devoted to telling you about the most effective natural cold remedies. In fact, people seeking an effective cold remedy, will ask for that one remedy (over all others) in health food stores across the country.
The key to stopping a cold dead in its tracks is to pay attention to early symptoms. Go to Cold Symptoms to understand early warning signs.
A good cold remedy focuses on three key factors:
- Boosting the weakened immune system.
- Avoiding foods that promote the replication of the cold viruses.
- Easing the nasty symptoms that disrupt rest and make you feel lousy.
Let’s Begin With The Immune System:
Your body is truly wonderfully made. It has been designed with a complex security system of guarding itself that is second to none. But we all take this magnificent security system for granted.
We run on three hours of sleep, eat tons of sugar and refined carbohydrates, and think nothing of getting incensed when someone cuts in front of us in traffic. We tax our bodies over nothing.
In short, we are our worst enemy. The damage begins within us, making us vulnerable to outside enemies. One of the enemies that we wish geneticists could eliminate is the virulent set of viruses that causes the miserable common cold.
We Have To Pay Attention:
It is a clear sign that our immune system is down and therefore we are vulnerable to anything else, including cancer, taking a greater foothold in our bodies. (Our immune system tracks down and kills, on average, about 175-200 cancer cells daily before they can take a foothold.) More serious infections may be lurking about to attack us (meningitis, West Nile virus, influenzas).
A common cold can also spread to our sinuses causing a painful sinus infection, or to our ears and cause painful earaches, or to our lungs and set us up for pneumonia. We are looking at least two weeks of misery.
So here is what have I learned in the last 23 years about helping people prevent, and get over nasty colds. By the way, before I forget to tell you, the most contagious period for contracting a cold is right before virulent symptoms appear in a person.
The nasty symptoms are the result of the immune system kicking into high gear. Go to Cold Symptoms to get savvy about the nasty common cold symptoms.
Prevention Tips to Prevent a Cold From Taking Root or Beating Back Symptoms:
- At the first sign of a cold, begin 1000 mg. tablets of Vitamin C to bowel tolerance. Start with 3 tablets and if you do not experience loose stools within 90 minutes, increase the tablets to four and so forth every two hours until you reach bowel tolerance.
- The amount of Vitamin C (Ester C) that you do not expel is what your immune is grabbing and using up. The healthier your immune is the less Vitamin C your body needs to stay at optimum immune function.
- Take odorless Garlic capsules (2 caps) three times daily for the first three days and then reduce to two, two times daily for the next several weeks if it is cold season. Keep your blood inhospitable to cold and flu virus.
- The natural sulfur in garlic is poisonous to these pathogens. They may certainly come near you, but they won’t like what they find. They will have to move on to a more hospitable host.
- Stop ALL consumption of sugar and refined carbohydrates. It takes 6 hours for your immune system to recover for one tiny teaspoon of sugar. It’s not worth it! It’s not an accident that most colds and flu occur during the time of year that we consume a lot of carbohydrates, probably more than any other time of year. Cold weather does not cause colds, but diet and closer quarters mightily contribute!
- Eat hot chicken soup! It really does contain a naturally occurring protein that your immune system uses to replenish its cytotoxic arsenal to poison cold viruses. Put a pinch of cayenne pepper to stimulate your mucous lined membranes to lay down a nice thick coat of mucous to trap the skunks that are making your nose and throat feel so scratchy. Put a few fresh pieces of raw chopped garlic in the soup.
- If you feel that the cold is really trying to get you, include two ginger with the garlic dose. If you see dead white blood cells when you blow your nose (yellow looking) you will seem your phlegm clear up quickly when you combine these two things (instead of the normal 7-10 days.)
- Drink plenty of water with ginger, unless you just like the way ginger tastes. Some people like to pinch ground ginger in their soup and hot tea. Speaking of hot tea, I have found the (Cold Season, Throat Coat, etc.) to be very soothing to people.
- As soon as you can, take a hot bath. Stay in as long as you can. Put in a cup of plain Epsom salts (and eucalyptus essential oil) if you can. Avoid chlorinated hot tubs at the health club. The chlorine will make you sicker. It is a poison to your body and is a known carcinogen.
- Keep your hands away from your face. And only blow your nose holding one nostril open to protect your possibly inflamed eardrums from bursting.
- Irrigate your sinuses with a can of fine mist (aerosol) plain saline solution. This will bring immediate soothing relief and will poison the viruses with salt preventing them from seating deeply into your sinuses and moving to your ears to cause ear infections. Label the can with your name to prevent cross infection.
- Make yourself a vapor pot and hang your head over the steaming pot with a towel draped over your head. Boil pure water first and add drops of Eucalyptus, Peppermint or Lavender essential oils. Put in the drops and immediately breath in the vapors. Or put on a simmer pot at night with these natural essential oils.
- Get in bed early and dress warmly for bed with socks. If you live in a very cold climate, wear a knitted cap to bed. Put a few drops on the before mentioned essential oils on a handkerchief and lay on your pillow to breathe all night.
- When you consider the weeks of misery that a cold brings, this simple list of my natural cold remedy are not too much trouble.
As the years go by, you will notice that other people get colds year after year and you won’t. Believe it’s much nice to go through the holidays and winter free of a cold.
Recommended Cold Remedy Shopping List:
(Keep these items on hand in a dry place, NOT the bathroom):
- Vitamin C (Ester C) 1000 mg. tablets.
- Odorless Garlic capsules.
- Echinacea Extract Capsules.
- Powdered ginger root if you like the taste. Pretty strong!
- Saline mist in an aerosol can to irrigate nose and sinuses.
- Cans of chicken noodle soup and cloves of fresh garlic. Pinches of cayenne.
- Traditional Medicinal & Yogi teas, Throat Coat.
- Small bottles of essential oils for bath and vapor breathing. Eucalyptus, Lavender, and Peppermint. At least one bag of Epsom salts for the bath.
- Pick up a box of oral Zinc Lozenges icon without sugar. Follow instructions on box. Do not chew… allow them to dissolve in your mouth. Or if you generally don’t like the taste, take chelated zinc caps or tabs. I like Opti Zinc the best. But as long as it says chelated, you will absorb it properly and not have it compete with copper levels in the body.
- 1 jar of Vick’s vapor rub to place under your nose and on your chest or throat. The cheaper brands don’t seem to be as good. I don’t recommend boiling this, or any chemical cold product, because it contains chemical petroleum products. Not good for your lungs!
Natural Cold Remedies: I hope your query solved after reading the blog. Feel free to ask more questions and share your experience with us.