Things About Alcohol Withdrawal Remedies You May Not Have Known: Alcohol addiction is a physiological (body), as well as a psychological (mental) dependence upon alcohol.
Some people are prone to become alcoholics at the first drink. For others, it takes time to become dependent upon alcohol. Either way, the only way to become dependent upon alcohol is to drink. There is no other way.
As for me, I never saw that it was worth taking the risk. Maybe it had something to do with my time working at the chemically dependent unit where I cared for people suffering from alcohol withdrawal. My years spent there offered plenty of enough evidence for me to never touch alcohol…ever. So I feel for you…. dear reader.
Nobody ever plans to get hooked on alcohol…and remember alcohol is alcohol…beer, wine, whiskey… it’s all the same…. Binge drinking is the most severe sign of alcoholism. People may use the excuse of it being Super Bowl, or a wedding, or Christmas, or whatever, but it’s still binge drinking. Blackouts are more common during this time. A blackout (loss of memory of events during drinking) is proof positive that the person has crossed over from casual drinking into full-blown alcoholism.
Any form of alcohol is poison. You cannot consume even an ounce without damaging the brain, liver, kidneys, pancreas, duodenum and central nervous system. If you drink, you triple your chances of developing cancer. This is not only due to the alcohol itself, but the fact that beer (and other spirits) is preserved with formaldehyde (embalming fluid), which is a known carcinogen. Like cigarettes, alcohol doesn’t kill you overnight; the companies need your money. So a slow death is in order. Make no mistake… this drug is a killer that has destroyed more lives than any other substance known to man.
Things About Alcohol Withdrawal Remedies You May Not Have Known: understand how to deal with alcohol withdrawal, you need to understand what happens to your body when you drink.
Like all poisons, it is your liver’s responsibility to break down alcohol in order that it might cause less damage to your other organs. The second you swallow alcohol your body goes into overdrive to get rid of this highly toxic poison. You cannot live without your liver, and it is impossible not to damage it, if you drink. A very large number of pancreatic, kidney, throat, stomach and colon cancer cases are due to the cytotoxic (producing cell death) effect of alcohol. If you drink, your chances of developing cancer are very good. (Alcohol is one of the few substances that can penetrate the blood-brain barrier and the lining of the stomach delivering a direct hit to these delicate areas of the body.)
When you ingest alcohol, your digestive tract floods the stomach and small intestine with digestive enzymes that should be devoted to breaking down food for your good health. Instead, these critical enzymes have to go and break down a worthless substance to keep it from damaging you further. Each time you drink, you hamper your body’s capacity to create digestive enzymes and you lose the capacity to properly breakdown proteins and fats (including critical fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K) and B vitamins. Certain critical stores of nutrients that were to be used to protect your immune system are quickly released leaving vulnerable to whatever flies by.
Consistent drinking (3 times a week) can lead to fatty liver. Since your enzyme-depleted liver can no longer break down fat properly, it stores it, leading to a fatty liver. Fat does not belong in the liver so this lead to inflammation of liver cells (hepatitis) and liver cell death. Finally, as the person continues to drink, more areas of the liver become damaged, hardened and die. Blood and waste products can no longer move freely in and out of the liver and you are literally poisoned to death. This is called cirrhosis and it is life threatening because you cannot live without a functioning liver.
The time it takes to develop cirrhosis is different with every person. It can happen quickly with some, and take longer with others. The good news is, if you abstain from drinking, your liver will most likely recover and produce some new cells. There is no other poison known to man that is as damaging to the liver as alcohol. I mean other poisons like arsenic, mercury, benzene, PCBs, etc. Alcohol is worse than these, as far as your liver is concerned.
A liver was made to last 80 years in most men, and 85-87 years in most women. But drinking will shorten your life span and hasten aging. I could on and on about peripheral nerve damage that causes loss of sensation in feet and hands, enlarged heart leading to congestive heart failure, fetal alcohol syndrome, etc.
Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms
- Acute anxiety
- Visual and auditory hallucinations
- Profuse sweating
- Rapid pulse/rapid heart beat
Things About Alcohol Withdrawal Remedies You May Not Have Known: Now that you know the truth…what are my alcohol withdrawal remedies?
Nutrient Support For Alcohol Withdrawal
- Alpha Lipoic Acid – 100mg. twice daily to restore glutathione, a critical liver antioxidant/protector and reduce cravings for alcohol.
- Gamma-aminobutyric Acid (GABA)-500 mg. once or twice daily to calm the nervous system and blunt anxiety from withdrawal.
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)-Start with 600 mg. daily for five days and work up to 1200 mg. daily. NAC is an antioxidant amino acid needed for the brain, nervous system, and liver healing. (There is so much to say about NAC.)
- Multivitamins without Iron capsules Follow label instructions. Use to correct a wide range of vitamin and mineral deficiencies caused by alcohol consumption. Replenishes digestive enzymes, lost zinc, and chromium to reduce sugar cravings, which are common in alcoholism. Alcohol is a sugar product and sugar problems are central in craving alcohol. This is one of the reasons why pancreatic cancer is so high among alcoholics.
- Milk Thistle Extract – An antioxidant herb that repairs liver cells and reduces liver inflammation. Follow instructions on the label.
- Dandelion Root – Follow the instructions on the label to flush the liver and the blood stream and consider going on a juice fast for one week to detoxify the blood, kidneys and liver.
- Pantothenic Acid – 500 mg. twice daily, if extreme nervousness, high anxiety, or stress is a problem. Pantothenic Acid supports the stress glands, induces calm and supports detoxification of alcohol which is stressful to the body.
- Melatonin combined with Valerian Extract (follow label inst.) sleep at night, avoid all drugs and chemicals. Use 3 mg. The tranquilizing drug Valium was copied and named after Valerian. The difference is Valerian (after hundreds of years of use) has not shown to be addicting or cause psychotic episodes as it a chemical copycat. (Ha! You can’t copy nature.) Valerian, an herb, cannot be patented. Read the label on the Melatonin bottle, some people on psychiatric drugs cannot have melatonin.
Stay away from situations and people that involve alcohol. You need a chance to get your bearings. In just one week, you will start to feel much better and realize that you don’t need alcohol. There are millions of people out there that never touch this poison. When you don’t drink you will begin to notice them and realize that you aren’t doing any thing strange by not drinking. There is just as much fun, laughter and good times without it. Trust me on this….Things About Alcohol Withdrawal Remedies You May Not Have Known: